Conversate

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 25 02:07:47 UTC 2001

>This line of inquiry hasn't mentioned _recreate_, what one does when one
>indulges in recreation, not the act of re-creation. The P.E. people use
>this word all the time; is it otherwise visible/audible?
>
>Peter R.

Truth to be told, I've only seen this sense in writing, and then, only in
contexts that call attention to the problem. I've never heard PhysEd people
use it at all, but then I'm never around such people.

If the word really is in use, and M-W suggests it is (but without giving any
guide to pronunciation), an acute accent (or maybe, a grave on the pattern
of learnèd) over the C would be disambiguative. Curiously, M-W does not note
what I regard as the main sense, that of 'create anew, replicate'; AHD4
requires a hyphen for this latter sense.