will/shall

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 25 03:05:23 UTC 2001

At 10:36 AM -0500 1/25/01, Herb Stahlke wrote:
>I think I'd probably say "d'ya wanna go" instead of "shall we
>leave", unless I was being posh.
>
>Herb

Well, there is the danger, as Deborah Tannen has pointed out, that
the recipient of "d'ya wanna go?" (whatever intonation is used) may
feel s/he is literally being asked whether or not s/he wants to go,
when the speaker intends it as a suggestion (or vice versa), while
"Shall we go" clearly indicates that the speaker would like to go if
the addressee is willing to.  Still, the former (or even the more
reduced form, "Wanna go?") is probably more likely than "Shall we
go?".  But my point is that the "shall" in this case is less
stylistically marked than in the simple future uses.

Larry