"Information Wants to be Free"

Gareth Branwyn garethb2 at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Jan 25 22:58:44 UTC 2001

Brand is usually credited with the coinage. If my memory servers
(WARNING: I just got back from a conference in Vegas and haven;t slept
in 28 hours!) it was first used in a special publication of the Whole
Earth Review called Two Cybernetic Frontiers (on computer tech circa the
early '70s). But that seems too early for the quote, so maybe it was a
later article in Whole Earth Review. I've exchanged some email with
Brand over the years, I'll ask him directly.

BTW: The full quote from Brand is:
Information wants to be free - because it is now so easy to copy and
distribute casually - and information wants to be expensive - because
in an Information Age, nothing is so valuable as the right information
at the right time."

The meaning of the statement (minus the second half) is often misinterpreted.