schedule --pronunciation

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Sat Jan 27 20:36:29 UTC 2001

Nancy Elliot says:

> Lynne, tell me more about Britons who say 'skedule.'

I haven't got much to tell.  Usually, where Americans would say 'schedule',
Brits say 'timetable'.  I've said 'shedule', trained by my time in S Africa and
my grad school pretensions, but at least twice I've heard 'skedule' here. I
don't know if this is empathetic--they know they're talking to an American,
so they use an American pronunciation--or if the 'k' pronunciation is slipping
in here.  I don't recall who said it--but I assume they were southeasterners.

Lynne