Bobbie/Bobby Pin; McGuffin; Nippy

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 28 00:56:33 UTC 2001

   I've been briefly going through CHAIN STORE AGE, which is by the same publisher as NATION'S RESTAURANT NEWS.  I'm looking especially for luncheonette slang.  These volumes are huge, with tons of ads.

BOBBIE/BOBBY PIN

   OED has 1936 (?) for "bobby pin."
   This appears to be a copyrighted term (originally).

October 1926, CHAIN STORE AGE, pg. 68 ad:
BOBBIE PINS
Are _you_ prepared to "cash in" on this great national campaign?  Fourteen leading magazines, blanketing the United States, will carry Bobbie Pin messages, starting October 15.  More than _thirteen and one-half_ million copies of these magazines containing Bobbie Pin advertisements, will be distributed!
(...)
Marcus-Lesoine
Incorporated
Established 1912
130 Turk Street  San Francisco

October 1926, CHAIN STORE AGE, pg. 69 ad:
GIRLEY PINS
The Fast-Selling 5c Pins
for Bobbed Hair
(...)
Marcus-Lesoine
Incorporated
Established 1912
130 Turk Street  San Francisco

February 1927, CHAIN STORE AGE, pg. 80 ad:
THE BOBBIE PIN
Patented and Protected by U. C. Copyright--it is unlawful to use the term BOBBIE PIN for any imitation
   This illustration is now appearing in 20 national magazines
   This illustration is now speaking to 40 million readers
There are many who try to imitate, but there is only one GENUINE BOBBIE PIN

September 1927, CHAIN STORE AGE, pg. 89 ad:
THE HUMP HAIR PIN MFG. CO.
1918-36 Prairie Avenue  Chicago, Ill.
(One of those imitators--ed.)

McGUFFIN

   FWIW to OED, now on "m."
   CHAIN STORE AGE, June 1928, pg. 82, has an ad for Remington Cash Registers.  A letter about their quality comes from the F. E. McGuffin Corporation (NYC), FIVE CENTS TO ONE DOLLAR DEPARTMENT STORES.
   I don't know if this has anything to do with Alfred Hitchcock's "McGuffin."

NIPPY

   This is an early term for "waitron."
   The OED has "nippy" from 11 February 1925.
   From CHAIN STORE AGE, April 1926, pg. 25:

_The Making of a "Nippy"_
How the 8,000 waitresses employed by J. Lyons & Co.,
an English restaurant chain, are selected and trained.
(Pg. 28, cols. 2-3 photo caption--ed.)
   The evolution of "Nippy" so far as her outward appearance goes is revealed in the photos above.  The present costume was adopted January 1, 1925.

"O-LOOKEE!" SLANG

   An ad for "O-LOOKEE! CANDY CONE" is in CHAIN STORE AGE, January 1928, pg. 133.  The "Motto Hearts" candies are shaped like hearts, and the following are written on some of them:

Nuff
Said

O.K.
for me