It's a case for Fred Shapiro!

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 29 01:44:22 UTC 2001

All right, here's my response.  This is the earliest example I have of the
"publicity" saying:

1950 Hortense Powdermaker _Hollywood the Dream Factory_ 241  The Hollywood
proverb that "The only bad publicity is no publicity" would seem to have
considerable truth behind it, even if publicity alone is not generally
sufficient to make a star.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,