"Horse Talk" in BAR & BUFFET

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 29 04:56:48 UTC 2001

ADS-L SIGNOFFS

   I don't get it.
   The ways to sign off are clearly listed at www.americandialect.org.  Since I wrote this posting (a few days ago), one person wanted to kill someone to get off.  So we AGAIN posted clear instructions.
   No one should make these posts!
   And if anyone wants a daily digest (one e-mail a day), that format is also available.

THE AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK:
THE MOST POPULAR RECIPES OF THE 20TH CENTURY
by Jean Anderson
Clarkson Potter, 548 pages hardcover
1997

   I had dismissed this cookbook prematurely because it got "hot dog" and "iced tea" wrong again, and because John Mariani's book came out in 1999 and cited this one.  There are some earlier food citations here that Mariani (for some reason) doesn't use.

BOULA-BOULA--A nice discussion is on pg. 64.

JOHNNY MARZETTI--An entry on page 147 cites a 1960 cookbook, Peg Bracken's THE I HATE TO COOK BOOK.  I'll research this on my next LOC visit, but anyone in Columbus, Ohio, can beat me to it by checking old telephone books under "restaurants" for "Marzetti" and posting the "Johnny Marzetti" info here.

MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE--
   Pg. 462--I first encountered Mississippi Mud Cake in the 1970s in Jackson, Mississippi, but I'm told it's popular up and down the Mississippi--particularly from St. Louis south.
   Pg. 381 ("Mud Pie")--I REMEMBER distinctly when and where I first tasted this pie, heaven to a chocoholic like me.  It was in the mid-'70s at the newly rebuilt Mills House Hotel in Charleston, South Carolina.

MILE HIGH PIE--
   Pg. 373--...said, _Please_ don't forget Mile-High Pie."  To be honest, I _had_ forgotten Mile-High Pie. (...)  Suzanne sent me page 243 of _Home Economics Teachers' Favorite Recipes_ (1967), and it contains not one but three different Mile-High Pies, submitted by home economics teachers from all over the country--from Minnesota, Nebraska, Arkansas, North Dakota, Vermont.
(The 1950s New Orleans "mile high ice cream pie" is, I guess, unfamiliar to the author--ed.)

PUREE MONGOLE, CREME MONGOLE, OR MONGOLE SOUP--There is a huge discussion on pages 58-59.  FDR and JFK both liked it.  OED doesn't include it at all!?  There are 1930s citations given, but I'll check to see what I have.