Carrot Cake

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 29 16:39:30 UTC 2001

BIG BLUE II

   The Giants are also known as the "Big Blue Wrecking Crew."
   Hey, I thought Baltimore would win a low-scoring game.

CARROT CAKE

   Jean Anderson's AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK has a "carrot cake" entry on page 435:

   Before developing its new pudding-including carrot and spice cake mix, Pillsbury researched carrot cake in depth, even staged a nationwide contest to locate America's first-published carrot cake recipe.  Their finding: A carrot cake in _The 20th Century Bride's Cookbook_ published in 1929 by a Wichita, Kansas, woman's club.

   From EVERY WOMAN'S COOK BOOK (Cupples & Leon Co., NY, 1926) by Mrs. Chas. F. Moritz:

Carrot and Celery Salad, 242
   Cakes, 192
   Torte, 434

   WHAT DO I WIN?

BACHELLOR BUTTONS (continued)

   See ADS-L archives, DARE.  I thought this was a cookie.
   HANOVER COOK BOOK (3rd. ed., 1922) has "bachellor buttons" under "cakes."

CHINESE CHEWS

   Jean Anderson says on page 485:

   I remember Chinese Chews from the '50s and don't believe they date much further back than that.  If so, I haven't been able to find any earlier recipes for them.

   Her earliest cite was 1953.
   PILLSBURY'S THOUSAND DOLLAR BAKERY FORMULA BOOK (1950) has, under "pies--specialties," "Chinese Choos-Choos."

FOOD FOR THE GODS (DATE-NUT DESSERT)

   Not to be confused with ambrosia ("food OF the gods").
   Jean Anderson has:

   THIS IS the sort of dessert that became so popular in the late '40s and early '50s and cropped up in community cookbooks across the country.

   I have:
   AUNT CAROLINE'S DIXIELAND RECIPES (Gold Seal Corp., Chicago, 1922), by Emma and William McKinney, "Food For The Gods...95."
   OUT OF VERMONT KITCHENS (Trinity Mission, Burlington, VT, 1939), "Food for the Gods...201."
   Probably not to be served with a "Poor Boy."