schedule --pronunciation

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Tue Jan 30 01:21:38 UTC 2001

Apology:
I am sometimes bitten by a pathological urge to say the obvious just to
get it on record. Well, at least my urges in that direction have the
advantage of letting everybody else say something new or incisive or
whatever.

Illustration:
This thread has reached respectable length, yet nobody has mentioned
that Chicago has been an outpost of initial "sh" in "schedule" for about
half a century.  This is largely the result of Eric P. Hamp's valiant
tenacity in siding with sh. Hamp's dedication to SH while all the world
around him uses S merits recognition and congratulation almost as much
as his better-known contributions to linguistics.

Addendum:
Hamp's heroic persistence has also taught many students, perhaps even a
dozen of us, that "celtic" (with or without initial capital C) is
properly pronounced with an initial k in all contexts save basketball.
An additional handful of Hamp- influenced scholars may not go quite that
far, but still use the s/k alternation in "celtic" as a case of the
kentum/chentum/sentum/tsentum lines of dialect separation in European
languages.  The instructor who uses this example is spared the labor of
explaining such obsolete titles as Kaiser, Cesare (with ch), Caesar
(with s), and Tsar.

-- mike salovesh                    <salovesh at niu.edu>
PEACE !!!

P.S.:  I should have added a clarification that the example of "celtic",
unlike America, does not go from C to shining C.  The second C in celtic
is phonemic /s/. See what I mean about my pathological urge to say the
obvious?