schedule --pronunciation

Tue Jan 30 17:17:41 UTC 2001

At 09:44 AM 1/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
>--On Monday, January 29, 2001 7:21 pm -0600 Mike Salovesh
><t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU> wrote:
>>Illustration:
>>This thread has reached respectable length, yet nobody has mentioned
>>that Chicago has been an outpost of initial "sh" in "schedule" for about
>>half a century.  This is largely the result of Eric P. Hamp's valiant
>>tenacity in siding with sh. Hamp's dedication to SH while all the world
>>around him uses S merits recognition and congratulation almost as much
>>as his better-known contributions to linguistics.
>
>I assume that by 'Chicago' you mean 'the University of Chicago' (or maybe
>'the Linguistics Department of the University of Chicago).  Hamp may be
>influential, but I doubt he's _that_ influential!
>
>Lynne
>M Lynne Murphy
>Lecturer in Linguistics
>School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences
>University of Sussex
>Brighton BN1 9QH
>UK
>
>phone +44-(0)1273-678844
>fax   +44-(0)1273-671320

And why would Hamp's promotion of /SH/ "merit recognition and
congratulation"?  I assume you're just joshing. . . .  Incidentally, a
former grad student from England e-mailed me to say she's "a /sk/ gal" (24
or 25 yrs old, London-born, daughter of an ESL teacher who's
ultra-prescriptive, and an ESL teacher herself).