"is is"

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Jan 31 18:47:25 UTC 2001

"D. Ezra Johnson" <ezra_50 at HOTMAIL.COM> writes:

>>"I thought that knowing who Tartaglia is is a requirement for
>>joining this list".  [Tartaglia was a Medieval Italian
>>mathematician.]  Is this sentence grammatical?

>IMHO, grammatical beyond question, although prosodically somewhat
>challenging to the reader.

IMH idiolect, ungrammatical, but for a different reason. "Think" has to
agree in tense with the clause following it.
<<<<<

For me too, but that was beside the point.

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com