oronym

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at IS2.NYU.EDU
Wed Jan 31 19:17:30 UTC 2001

At 07:08 PM 1/31/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>So, it's unclear whether he really did coin it there or whether that
>website just thinks he coined it because he popularized it.  There's
>nothing in the style that marks it as a new word, and no indication of why
>'oro' (which AHD4 lists as the Greek prefix for 'mountain'; unless the
>coiner was mixing classical roots and meant this to be the Latin for
>'mouth).
>
>Lynne

Yes, actually, since you mention it -- My cursory web search called up
several germanophone sites that seemed to suggest that _Oronym_ is used in
German as a term for names applied to elevated sites. I figured that this
_Oronoym_ might well be a completely independent word. Several examples
occur in the scholarly bibliography found at this URL:

http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~fischeg4/HDP.htm

Greg Downing, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at is2.nyu.edu