words

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 3 23:01:58 UTC 2001

In a message dated 07/03/2001 10:41:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU writes:

> I am still thinking of offering a special topics course soon - Xtreme
>  Talk. As I said earlier, I'd like to call it Trash Talk, but don't think I
>  will get approval for that - it would attract students, even though I
>  would not limit content to trash talk, narrowly defined.

"Xtreme Talk" is a poor title because there are people who are unable to
conduct a conversation without using a plethora of four-letter words.  To
such a person, polite discourse would amount to Extreme Talk.

My recommendation is that you call it "Street Language", unless you want to
insure that you get only scholarly students, in which case you should bill it
as "Billingsgate" with no further explanation.

     - Jim Landau