gillygalou bird

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Jul 5 14:46:43 UTC 2001

(Apologies if this appears twice. My server crashed while I was creating
this message the first time and I don't know if it went out or not.)

My correspondent corrects my inference about the dialect in which she
observed the phrase:

At 11:01 AM 7/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
>This item apparently comes from Canadian French, but it was observed in
>Canadian English. Does anyone recognize it or have an idea about it? A
>correspondent asks:

Never Canadian English.  My g'g'g'father is the one who
I believe moved from the Montreal area to the Detroit
area.  That quarter of my pedigree is all French, excepting
the drop of Spanish that goes with the surname.

     [...]

"When I get a little money, I buy books.
 And if any is left, I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
<<<<<

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com