ketchup

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 9 13:11:55 UTC 2001

At 6:20 PM -0400 7/9/01, Steve K. wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, ANNE V. GILBERT wrote:
>
>>  Ketchup is the *usual* topping for hotdogs in the Seattle area(usually mixed
>>  with mustard).
>
>Requesting ketchup on hot dogs at certain hot dog places in Chicago will
>be met with a flat out no. Some places won't desecrate a hot dog with
>ketchup, and hand the ketchup to the patron separately, with a deep,
>burning glare.
>
>Asking for a hot dog with everything gets you everything but ketchup.
>Since I hate ketchup on hot dogs myself, I would say "Everything
>except ketchup" and the response would always be "They don't come
>with ketchup."

--"Everything but ketchup, please."
--"Sorry, we don't serve ketchup; you'll have to have it without mustard."

It may be worth noting on the same topic (since we haven't yet heard
from the anti-ketchup defamation league) that at least one hamburger
restaurant--indeed, the reputed home of the hamburger, Louis' Lunch
on Crown St. in New Haven--refuses to serve ketchup with its
hamburgers.  Onion or tomato, si; ketchup, no.

larry