Ketchup

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Jul 11 19:18:47 UTC 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Peter A. McGraw wrote:

> And Allen, if ketchup on hot dogs is such a new idea to you, how come they
> have one of those big plastic-jars-with-that-squirt-thingamajig filled with
> mustard AND one filled with ketchup wherever they serve hot dogs in your
> erstwhile hometown (and to my knowledge, everywhere else I've lived)?  (I
> guess you'll claim the ketchup jar is just for the hamburgers.) (Or that
> those d**n Californians brought it with them after you left.):)

Surely for burgers, fries (incl. onion rings), and foreigners.

According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council webpage section on
Hot Dog Etiquette (http://www.hot-dog.org/hd_etiquette.htm) we have the
following authoritative advice:

"Fresh herbs on the same plate with hot dogs are a major "Don't..."
Mustard, relish, onions, cheese and chili are acceptable.

Don't...
use ketchup on your hot dog after the age of 18."

So perhaps the large jars of ketchup are for the benefit of those 18 and
under.

allen
maberry at u.washington.edu