Chile on eggs?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 12 14:51:43 UTC 2001

At 9:50 PM -0400 7/12/01, Bethany K. Dumas wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Kim & Rima McKinzey wrote:
>
>>Ok, here's my two cents' worth.  I, too, NYC born & bred was
>>astonished and appalled to find that people here in California put
>>mustard on their hamburgers.  I constantly have to remind myself when
>
>I will not eat a hamburger that does not have mustard on it. And I will
>not eat one that has either ketchup, however spelled, or mayonnaise on it.
>
>Bethany, who also thinks that the best things to put on eggs are
>butter (NOT marge), salt, and pepper, though mustard is acceptable if the
>eggs are boiled and cold

Obviously someone has to apply for a grant to compile a Gustatory
Atlas of America (Digestionary of American Regional Eating?) and get
to the bottom of this--are there bundles of isotoppings (for eggs,
burgers, hot dogs,...) or is each isospice sui generis?

larry, who's not reliquishing his chiles for anyone's butter or
mustard--unless we're talking good deli mustard for hot dogs or
pastrami...