OED news

Fri Jul 13 19:20:48 UTC 2001

FWIW, one of my Brit colleagues was horrified (after I told him it
was so) that no (an obvious exaggeration) Yank (including faculty
types) would have a clue about wank (or wanking and wankers). His
study (not published of course) included about twenty or so casual
respondents cornered in the hallways. (Admittedly it was not a tweedy
Anglophile Department; one might do scads better with the entire
range of Briticisms there.)

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston