Hamburger vs hamburg

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Sat Jul 14 05:49:38 UTC 2001

I would be interested to know if there was a wider contrast than one I
encountered in NW Illinois in the early 1950s. The first time I was up
there from South Texas, I only knew of "hamburgers", and stopped in a
local drive-in eatery (remember those? only Sonic reproduces those
today) and started to order from my car. I forget whether there was an
outside menu or not, but "hamburg" was listed for the lowest price, with
"hamburger" at a higher price. Being in impecunious college student, I
went for the "hamburg", which was delivered as a beef patty on a dry bun.
When I asked about other normal (Texas) appurtenances, the girl serving me
laughed and said, "Oh, that's a hamburger".

        Rudy

P.S. Thanks to Beverly for remembering Abrahams & Troike; it has lots of
still-useful papers in it.