Hamburger vs hamburg

Jewls2u Jewls2u at WHIDBEY.COM
Sat Jul 14 17:16:38 UTC 2001

This is my first time posting to this message board, but I found this
definition for hamburger in the American Heritage Dictionary and thought I
would share:

"Because the world has eaten countless hamburgers, the origins of the name
may be of interest to many. By the middle of the 19th century people in the
port city of Hamburg, Germany, enjoyed a form of pounded beef called Hamburg
steak. The large numbers of Germans who migrated to North America during
this time probably brought the dish and its name along with them. The entrée
may have appeared on an American menu as early as 1836, although the first
recorded use of Hamburg steak is not found until 1884. The variant form
hamburger steak, using the German adjective Hamburger meaning “from
 Hamburg,” first appears in a Walla Walla, Washington, newspaper in 1889. By
1902 we find the first description of a Hamburg steak close to our
conception of the hamburger, namely a recipe calling for ground beef mixed
with onion and pepper. By then the hamburger was on its way, to be
followed—much later—by the shortened form burger, used in forming
cheeseburger and the names of other variations on the basic burger, as well
as on its own."

Julienne

P.S. Ketchup is fine for a hot dog, but only mustard (good mustard) will due
on a braut.