Skyr (1809) and other Icelandic foods; Greenland cursing proverb

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 16 08:16:32 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Borgarnes, Iceland.  More birds and waterfalls today.  Yesterday, I passed by Snorri Sturleson.
   Northern "Ireland" in a last posting should have been Northern "Iceland"...The hotel disconnects the fax, starts up the internet, I finally get on, I've got 60 messages, and six people from my tour group ask, "Are you going to be long?"

SKYR

   Time to antedate the OED on the national dish by about 50 years.
   From THE ICELAND TRAVELLER: A HUNDRED YEARS OF ADVENTURE (Iceland Review, 1989) by Alan Boucher, pg. 44, taken from JOURNAL OF A TOUR OF ICELAND IN THE SUMMER OF 1809 by William Jackson Hooker (1813):

   _Skiur_, which is thick curd, may also be reckoned a common article of food: this they prefer after it has acquired a sour, and even a rancid, taste; though, when fresh, or when it has attained only a slight degree of acidity, and is eaten with cream and sugar, it is really an enviable article of luxury...

ICELANDIC FOOD

   From the ICELAND REVIEW, February 2000, pg. 40:

   ...such native specialties as _smlaskinka_ (dried, smoked leg of lamb), _grafid hrossafile_ (cured horse fillet), the curious twist of sausage called _smælingi_ (smoked and dried fillet of lamb) and the best-selling little black parcels of _grafid nautakjot_--cured beef a la gravlax, flavoured with Icelandic thyme.  Also popular is the uniquely Icelandic _tadreykt_ range--trout, salmon and lamb smoked the traditional way over horse and sheep manure (no, your yes aren´t deceiving you).

(Maybe that´s why they seem to prefer hot dogs--ed.)

SUPERTRUCKS

   Supertruck is much less frequent than superjeep.
   However, www.adventure.is has Supertruck.