quim (was: OED news)

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Jul 16 17:09:43 UTC 2001

Quoth Larry:

At 10:08 AM -0400 7/13/01, Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com wrote:
     [...]
>"Quim" is obsolete; I'd bet not one American in a
>thousand knows it.

     [...]
One in a thousand!  I thought I was one in a million!
<<<<<

You are, Larry, never fear!

Yes [sigh], I fear Mark is right; not everyone grew up on Victorian
erotica.  But still, "quim" is such a wonderful term of art, and if
it's not quite familiar enough to block the acronymization of KWIM <
'Know What I Mean?', *we* can have our private chuckles and guffaws.
<<<<<

Amen!

I did try checking google, but was overwhelmed by the Catalan web
sites.
<<<<<

That's why Google, though my first resort for search engines, is not my
last. Alta Vista Search Assistant (not the same as Advanced Search!) lets
you specify "whole phrase" and restrict the search by language.

-- Mark
       Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
            Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com