cube steak

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Jul 17 03:11:50 UTC 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Alice Faber wrote:
> This is exactly the implement I had in mind. I've seen them in some kind of
> metal also (cast alumimin(i)um?). They're obviously easier to describe if
> you've seen an exemplar relatively recently.

I have exactly the same kitchen tool. The only thing I've ever used it for
is for pounding garlic and spices into round steak to make grillades.

What I was wondering is where the term "cube steak" comes from and I guess
it might come from the fact that a cube shaped mallet with pyramid shaped
points (the ones on mine are 4 sided and are in larger and smaller sizes)
was used to tenderize it. That seems like a bit of a stretch to me, to
transfer the cube shape of the tenderizing mallet to the tenderized meat.
I had speculated to myself after I had posed the original question that
perhaps it came from the fact that a butcher took a literal cube (2x2x2 or
what ever size cube by weight) of tough meat and tenderized it until it
became a piece the thickness of a rather thin steak (since it seemed to me
that most commercial "cube steaks" were pretty near the same thickness).
But this is all pure speculation.

maberry at

More information about the Ads-l mailing list