Aren't/arn't Alert (?): A new(?) or regional(?) negative usage

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 17 07:55:23 UTC 2001

Sojourner Truth, in her 1852 speech in Akron, Ohio, at a women's
rights convention asked, as she ripped open her dress to expose her
breasts, "And arn't I a woman?"

--- Rudolph C Troike <rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU> wrote:
> I just picked up this inquiry on my e-mail from U Penn, and thought
> I'd
> pass it along to see if anyone has any further enlightenment.
>         Rudy

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5421(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail:  mlee303 at yahoo.com  or  margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu