Moveable lofts

Michael michael at RFA.ORG
Wed Jul 18 14:20:03 UTC 2001

a loft (in this case) is simply a set of legs/stilts that you place your bed
upon to
have more space in your (university) dorm room -- i had a couch and a fridge
under mine

they are usually about five feet tall and made of 3" by 3" wooden fence

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Frederick Langley
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 9:51 AM
Subject: Moveable lofts

I recently came across the following (an extract from the regulations
├┐verning student residences in the University of Mississippi):

"Students are no longer able to bring their own lofts into the halls in the
fall of 2001. Lofts will be available for rent. Please do not purchase a
loft from another student, as you will not be able to use it this fall."

I have tried the obvious dictionaries of American English without success.
Can anyone tell a puzzled Englishman what these transportable "lofts" might

Yours in anticipation,

Frederick Langley

Dr Frederick Langley
Department of  Modern Languages
University of Hull
Tel: +44 (0)1482 465206
Fax: +44 (0)1482 465345

More information about the Ads-l mailing list