pimple ball

Joan Houston Hall jdhall at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Fri Jul 20 20:06:55 UTC 2001

Are any of you Northeasterners familiar with the term "pimple ball" for a
ball used in playground games? We have two cites from the Boston area, but
aren't precisely sure what the ball is like.  One quote says that they are
used in a game similar to punchball and that they are "soft, small, white
balls," but does "pimple" refer to the dimpled surface characteristic of a
golf ball? Any help appreciated.

Joan Houston Hall, Chief Editor
Dictionary of American Regional English
6125 Helen C. White Hall
600 N. Park St., Madison, WI 53706
(608) 263-2744
<jdhall at facstaff.wisc.edu>

More information about the Ads-l mailing list