medical slang

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Mon Jul 23 17:56:19 UTC 2001

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> quotes Jonathon Green and comments:

>'LOL in NAD' is Little Old Lady in No Apparent Distress: any
>patients of either sex who enjoy the care and comforts found in a
hospital,
>but have no immediate or critical physical problems

Right, although I haven't myself heard this applied to a man. "NAD" is a
'double-entendre', also used seriously for "no acute disease".
<<<<<

I did a double-take on this one.

One day I brought the just-arrived issue of _Newsletter of the American
Dialect Society_ home to read. My son, then 18 or 19, took one look at the
acronym blazoned across it and commented, "That's a pretty awful name to
give a magazine." When I asked why, he explained, pitying my ignorance,
that "nads" is short for "gonads" in his circle.

-- Mark A. Mandel
When all else fails, panic. Come to think of it, why wait?