Smorgas (1858); Mole (1901); Batik (1857)

Tue Jul 24 15:28:26 UTC 2001

On "smorgas":  The origin of 'gas' (with superscript 'o') is indeed goose,
but 'smorgas' is to be interpreted as goose fat used as a spread ("smear")
for bread.  Today, of course, the spread is likely not to be goose fat but
dairy-based, but in 1858 it may have been from that fatty bird we only ate
at Christmas in Scandinavian Minnesota.  Add "bord" and you have a truly
sumptuous table full of all sorts of "spreads," breads, potato dishes,
meats, fish, puddings, etc. etc.--a "board" of food, as in "room and board."
(Jan Ivarsson can perhaps correct my 3rd-generation Swedish!)