majorly

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 26 02:42:56 UTC 2001

At 6:23 PM -0400 7/25/01, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>>I am amazed by the 56 litcrit quote, which confirms my suspicion
>>that it was not just youth culture or slang and around for quote a
>>bit (but beneath the level of my radar - better start readin' MLN
>>more often).

But I think the OED is right in distinguishing the (non-slang)
"largely, in the main" or as I'd put it "for the most part" sense
(1c), which the Milton quote exemplifies, and the (slang) intensifier
sense (1b) that can be paraphrased by "very".  I don't see the MLN
quote as involving the novel slang/colloquial sense ("majorly
serious", "majorly depressed") that I was conscious of as "funny"
when I first heard it in, I assume, the 1980's.  If this is right,
the "it" in dInIs's sentence doesn't pick out a single referent and
he can go back to ignoring MLN with a clear conscience.

larry