Cafeteria = Los Angeles

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Jul 27 18:15:22 UTC 2001

Allen,

     I think you're be right, viz. that Cafeteria is a now obsolete
slang term for Los Angeles. Venice won the game against Los Angeles.
Maggart (newspaper misspelling; should be Maggert) was an outfielder
for Los Angeles. So it was Los Angeles (aka Cafeteria, for whatever
reason) vs. Venice. The  Los Angeles team lost, but had Maggart not
made a base-running error, "the dove of victory would have partaken
of its evening repast in Cafeteria [L.A.] instead of in the suburb
[Venice]."
     Los Angeles must have a historical society,and I'll drop them a
line. Perhaps someone there can clarify how Los Angeles acquired the
alternate name Cafeteria.

---Gerald