Vaudeville; Popeye

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 30 01:00:49 UTC 2001

VAUDEVILLE

   See the earlier ADS-L post on "variety."
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 9 October 1938, pg. 36, col. 4:

_George Lederer Dies at 76;_
   _Veteran Theatrical Producer_
------------------------
_Introduced Vaudeville Into the United States, Pre-_
   sented Long List of Musical Comedy Successes_
   _and Discovered Many Stars_
(...)
   _Introduced Word "Vaudeville"_
   The word "variety" in America at that time was in almost the same disrepute which the word "burlesque" later fell.  To avoid being associated with the current variety companies Lederer called his troupe a "vaudeville company."  The word passed into the language.
   The troupe was a huge success, and Lederer triumphantly toured them across the country.

(I can check the NYPL Performing Arts Library clipping file for George Lederer, but not right now--ed.)

POPEYE

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 14 October 1938, pg. 24, col. 2:

_Segar, Originator of "Popeye,"_
_Is Dead at 43 After Operation_
(...) (Col. 3--ed.)
   The Popeye strip had an immense influence on the nation's mores.  The word "goon" passed into the language as a synonym for homely persons and later, through a series of modifications, for any one with a hangover.  College students appropriated the word "jeep" as a synonym for girls who demanded expensive good times.  (Eugene the Jeep ate nothing but orchids).  The phrase "I yam what I yam" became a national nuisance, and so did "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"--one of Wimpy's pet phrases.

(Don't see the earlier, old-archive ADS-L post for "goon."  I think it's gone--ed.)