1913 baseball column--query

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jul 30 16:03:22 UTC 2001

    Would anyone be able to see what I am missing here?  It's from a
light-hearted, eclectic sports column in the 1913 newspaper _San
Francisco Bulletin_ ("Sporting Tit-Bits by 'Mac'"), May 31, 1913,
p.10, col. 5. This is the entire item:

        "If you will notice, 'Buddy' Ryan is doing quite a business
with the big stick [= baseball bat] for the 'Naps' [Cleveland's major
league team], but how could he help it with a name like his?"

     I don't understand what Ryan's name has to do with his hitting
well. What am I missing?

---Gerald Cohen