"I don't know much about art, but I know what I like"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 31 03:32:42 UTC 2001

   Pretty much a gimme quotation, but I can't find it.
   Fred?
   I've looked in the Quotationary, Encarta's Quotations, the online Bartleby, Google, and AlltheWeb.
   One source has Gelett Burgess (without a date); another has New York Times Art critic Enrico Raffaele (also without a date).
   From THIS WEEK magazine, NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 6 November 1938, pg. 6, col. 1:

_BUT I KNOW WHAT I LIKE_
A new hoss adventure of our gay uncurbable Arizona West
by Nina Wilcox Putnam
(...)
   "And while you know nothing about Art," he said, mournfully, "I suppose you know what you like?"