Johnny Marazetti (1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 31 15:26:09 UTC 2001

    "Thornton" Burgess has a daily column on animal stories in the NYHT.  A two-liner begins each one.  Perhaps a proverb like "Murphy's Law" is in one of them.
    Darn, I'm forgetting my nursery rhymes today.
    How about "Tech Wreck"?

JOHNNY MARAZETTI

   It sure took me a while to antedate DARE, but I knew it was coming soon...Also "Marzetti."
   From THIS WEEK magazine in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, "Casseroles in Leading Roles," 22 January 1939, pg. 20, col. 2:

   The following casserole is a whole meal!

   _Johnny Marazetti_
1/2 pound egg noodles
2/3 pound round steak, cut in cubes
1/2 pound pork shoulder, cut in cubes
3 medium sized onions, sliced
1 small can mushrooms
1/3 cup fat
1 pint tomato juice
1/4 pound cheese, grated
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Boil noodles in slightly salted water until almost done.  Drain.  Saute meat, onions and mushrooms until brown.  Combine all ingredients, and a little more seasoning if desired, and turn into large greased casserole.  Cover and bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) from 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Approximate yield: 8 portions.