Dot-com backlash/meltdown terms

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 31 15:45:24 UTC 2001

Computerworld, July 2, 2001 page 45 article "Even Security Managers Get the
Dot-com Blues" written under the pseudonym of "Mathias Thurman".  The
article, written by a computer security manager who was just laid off,
includes "dot-com crash", "workforce reduction" defined as "the management
euphemism for a layoff", "dot-com startups", and "the dot-com days are over".

You probably would be interested in going through a back file of
Computerworld, concentrating on the editorial/op-ed pages and the articles
(an average of at least one per weekly issue) on hiring and recruiting.

I seem to recall that the Wall Street Journal recently had a front-page
article on networking by ex-employees of dot.com companies.

ADS-L list members might be interested on why the period in file-names (and
since the advent of the Internet, URLs) is read as "dot".

All I can say is that the usage goes way back.  The use of periods to
separate the portions of a file name (and later of a URL) antedates the UNIX
operating system on which the Internet is laregely based.  IBM's OS/360
operating system of 1965 (or maybe a few years earlier; I am citing a manual
copyrighted 1965) used periods in quantity in file names, and I don't doubt
that earlier operating systems also used periods.

        - Jim Landau