official english legislation

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sat Jun 2 01:18:30 UTC 2001

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Barnhart wrote:

>can-opener piercing the smelly can of rotten worms.  I certainly would
>like to be a fly on the wall of the conference room in which a
>committee of legislators tries to define what is and is not English.

I have been contemplating a new course for undergraduates. I'd like to
call it "Trash Talk," but do not think that title would get past my
prescriptivist  colleagues. So I have considered "Xtreme Talk." But now I
am thinking, "Unofficial English." Has anyone else done this?

Bethany