G.A.R. query--Thanx

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Jun 2 17:56:00 UTC 2001

     Thanx to everyone who replied to my query about the meaning of
"G.A.R." in the 1913 newspaper quote:
     "Isn't it appropriate for 'Cy' Young to become a manager in the
Federal League?  Cy is a member of the G. A.R. so far as the baseball
fans are concerned."
      The clarification that it means Grand Army of the Republic, an
organization of (Union) Civil War veterans, also clarifies the
meaning of the brief 1913 newspaper item.  In 1913 the Federal League
was being organized as a third major league and then was in existence
only two years (1914-1915). The 1913 newspaper writer was saying that
he could hardly imagine anyone more qualified by experience in
baseball to take over as a manager in the new league.

     He  was no doubt right.  Cy Young's major-league pitching career
extended from 1890-1911, with a record 511 lifetime victories,
including 20 or more for 14 straight seasons.  He also won more than
200 games in each league.  He won 30 or more games five times, had
three no-hitters, one of which was a perfect game, etc. etc.

     BTW, I'm not sure if he ever did become a manager in the Federal League.

--Gerald Cohen