official english legislation

Sun Jun 3 21:07:07 UTC 2001

With exams and term papers to read, I'll only comment briefly now:  First,
is there any evidence that our nation is NOT united in fundamental
ways?  Immigrants continue to choose to come here, and with no intent to
disunite the country, as far as I know.  Indeed, the "loose" kind of
nationalism we have may be one of the most attractive aspects of the U.S.,
to us long-timers (gee, I'm only 3rd generation American) and to newcomers.

Secondly, yes, there is evidence that official language policies (at the
state level thus far) can lead to restrictive measures of all sorts,
including access to health and welfare, courtroom justice, and most of all,
equal opportunity in schooling.  Whether this restrictiveness is "racist" I
won't judge, but the facts of limited opportunity are enough reason to make
such decisions on some basis other than language.

More on the third point later.