linguistic degeneration

Mon Jun 4 15:55:20 UTC 2001

In a message dated 6/4/2001 9:03:39 AM, RFelton at ISA.ORG writes:

<< ...  a splendid example of the
degeneration our language and the critical thinking it is supposed to
support have undergone in recent years >>

Ah yes, I, too, recall the Golden Age of the English language in America,
before it (and critical thinking) "degenerated." Lets see: was this the Viet
Nam war era, when we destroyed villages in order to save them? The McCarthy
era, when pinko ideology threatened to destroy our cultural fabric? The
1930s, when reefer madness was invented? The 1920's ... ? Etc. etc.

Anyone who seriously believes in "linguistic degeneration" ought to give SOME
kind of cursory look at the relationship between language and culture in ANY
cultural moment prior to the past ten minutes. Language does not
"degenerate": idiots abound in human history, and they think stupid things
and create stupid phrases to go with their stupid ideas.