official English

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jun 4 16:14:34 UTC 2001

A. Murie asked:

What would be the point of an "Official" language?
<<

I think one point is to recognize that English is in fact the language in
which the vast majority of language communication is conducted in this
country, and as such is a skill which all citizens and prospective citizens
should acquire as soon as they possibly can.

Many countries have official languages.  This need not create inherent
rivalry or prejudice.  Such a declaration puts public policy on record as to
the language or languages that are considered the most common or most widely
used.  To me, that's useful and practical.  It is not a slight to any other
language.

Frank Abate