Official English

Mon Jun 4 21:52:56 UTC 2001

Many Hispanic families in California were tortured with the bullshit
that their children would NOT be tauight English. Naturally, they
were appalled at the idea. In spite of what many believe, immigrants
to the US universally want English, perhaps most dramatically for
their children. Since they were lied to about the goals and prcedures
of bilingual education, some responded to this way. Now, fo course,
since there has been some time for dust to settle, many Hispanic
famlies have elected for the "option" in local communities which
"allows" bilingual education, which is to say, simply, education.
Otherwise the immersion plan (not a real one, if one compares, for
example, Canadian immersion language education plans) is immersion
indeed in which the students never surface. Drowning would be the
better label.

It's too bad that repspondents to this list who have only public
rpress and hearsay information are unwilling to even consider
professional and scientific results, but we made the list for the
public, and, if that's what you want, we'll stick to it, but I am now
even more convinced that this should be a professional list; I spend
a goodly portion of my professional life working on just such
misperceptions and misinformation; I'd like to have a professional
home to keep clear of opinions which I can read every day in my
home-town newspaper. I suggest we bring the matter of access to this
list up for discussion again.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston