Official English

Mon Jun 4 21:47:56 UTC 2001

That is true, but people who quite understandably want the best for their
children can easily be persuaded that BEd would "retard" their children's
academic growth, deny them social opportunities, etc.  Furthermore, BEd can
be badly handled, just as any other form of education can, and in some
cases kids may not have been getting good schooling in either
language.  Unfortunately, Unz capitalized on these responses, and they
received lots of press in the California debate.  If local schools are well
informed about all options (immersion vs. BEd, transitional early-exit BEd
vs. late-exit BEd, literacy in one language or both, transition to L2 vs.
maintenance of both lgs, etc.--there are many options), they can make
reasonable decisions for themselves--but only if the door is left open.