Official English

Mon Jun 4 23:03:51 UTC 2001

I'm of mixed minds on this issue:  In the past I've supported a closed list
(mainly when the ranters against Ebonics/AAVE were on board), but in the
matter of EOL/BilingEd, it seems to me we've had a fairly decent,
respectful dialogue--and if we've provided some useful facts and
information, that's all to the good.  Frankly, I'd rather have a good
knock-down, drag-out debate on these types of issues than restrict the list
to what seems increasingly to be an endless citation of words and their
origins.  At least we're talking about real-world language issues!