Official English

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Jun 5 09:50:43 UTC 2001

 But I do enjoy listening to your -- or, rather,
> y'all's -- learned exchanges and would hate to be shut out of here. Please
> let me stay. I do have a question: what makes you think that professional
> linguists are better qualified to speak -- speak intelligently, that is --
> about official English laws than sociologists, political scientists, legal
> scholars, journalists, or lesser fry like me? That said, I'd like to thank
> you for your informative essay on The English Language Unity Act
> of 2001. I
> was a pleasure to read.

Oops. IT was a pleasure to read. If you want to pass a law forcing posters
to read their messages before hitting the send button, I'm all for it.

Paul
--
Paul Frank
English translation from Chinese, German,