Bagels & Lox (1939); Jewish Dishes (1899); Vegetarian Restaurant (1897)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 5 11:51:01 UTC 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, James A. Landau wrote:

> Would it be possible for one of our New Haven correspondents to check out the
> 1927 date for Lender's Bagel/Beigel Bakery and at least find out what the
> spelling was?  (Note: my atlas shows that West Haven is a city adjacent to
> New Haven.)

I'll try to contact Murray Lender or Marvin Lender and ask them if there
are archives for their former company that document early usage of "bagel"
or variant spellings thereof.

Personally, I think Breugher's are far better than Lender's.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,