User dictionary

Herb Stahlke hstahlke at GW.BSU.EDU
Wed Jun 6 13:47:35 UTC 2001

I see an unending list of these coming, but I won't restrain myself.  My favorite is the time I typed Vergil and got "virgin," a particularly ironic choice for that epic purveyor of political poetry.

Herb

>>> preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU 06/06/01 07:58AM >>>
It's even more fun to look at what happens before you build your own.
As I recall, my own favorite was that my buddy Ralph Fasold was
corrected to "Ralph Fizzled"; not bad since his nickname is Fuzz.
Bill Labov came out funny too, but I done forgot.

dInIs

>I'm not sure where to go with this, but I find the idea fascinating.
>
>For those not one with their computers, a User Dictionary is that part of
>a SpellCheck program where you can add words you use with some frequency
>but are not in the common portion of the SpellCheck dictionary. Many
>casual computer users are not even aware that they can bring up their
>User Dictionary if they fiddle around in their menu bar or the File
>Manager.
>
>A friend on a small private list just sent out a copy of his User
>Dictionary along witht the question, "What does our User Dictionary say
>about us?" I took a look at mine.  Interesting question.

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University
East Lansing MI 48824-1027 USA