flahr-names

Mon Jun 18 14:44:24 UTC 2001

Hardly. A buttercup is a crowfoot, and, botanically, daffodils and
jonquils are both narcissuses (or, for the high-falutin' narcissi,
not -ae).

But I know lots of green-thumbers who will regularly refer to some
plants as narcissuses and others (in contrast) as daffodils. Folk
realities are, of course, not any less "real" than scientific ones.
If color, or size, or plumage, sets off one variety from another,
what should we do in lexicographical practice? The dictionaries I
looked at (very briefly, and I sure some lexicographers will
immmediately tell me I have overlooked their own exemplary practice)
have not done a very good job in carefully seprating folk from
scientific nomenclature ( I notice this more for game fish than
anything else), and most ("dialect" dictionaries aside of course)
seem to give preference to the "scientifically correct" label. The
worst outcome of this is that it feeds the popular mind's already
strongly held odd belief that words have "real" meanings (and that
those who do not hold to them are somehow less moral creatures than
those who do).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston