"Lite" (1921) (?)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Jun 18 21:28:57 UTC 2001

When I looked for early examples of "lite" following Larry Horn's recent
thread, I came upon this newspaper item from 1921 ("Gets Lite Sentence"):

http://dbs.ohiohistory.org/africanam/page1.cfm?ItemID=1300

Apparently "light sentence" has been expressed as "lite sentence" in the
title of this item.

No doubt this is an early example of a "sarcastic" replacement of "light"
with "lite", analogous to Larry's example of "lite music" from AHD4!

[The replacement of "light" with "lite" probably is not on the basis of
"spelling reform" à la "Chicago Tribune", since the word "tonight" (not
"tonite") appears in the text.]

What is it that is seriously wrong with my analysis?

-- Doug Wilson