A request

Dennis Baron debaron at NTX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU
Tue Jun 19 19:22:40 UTC 2001

A quick check of the Hamilton College on-line directory shows a student by
this name in the class of 2002. Perhaps what's killing the language is
students asking other people to do their homework. I also wonder why Lauren
Reynolds is starting her senior thesis in the summer? Can't she get a job to
help defray the outrageous cost of private school tuition? For some reason
my own teenagers (one of whom is at work helping to defray the outrageous
cost of private school tuition), unlike those in the "recent studies" not
cited below, have very large vocabularies, but they too sometimes still try
the ploy "I don't know what to write about." I think these sorts of email
requests from students are becoming common enough to constitute some kind of
new genre, though I've never gotten one as detailed as Lauren's. I get a
number of such requests every year, and simply ignore them. But someone
could write a senior thesis on this new phenomenon . . .

Dennis

Dennis Baron, Head
Department of English                                phone: 217-333-2390
University of Illinois                                         fax:
217-333-4321
608 South Wright Street                      email: debaron at uiuc.edu
Urbana, IL 61801               url: http://www.english.uiuc.edu/baron