"Climbing Mount Everest" Drinking; Water Music

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 22 07:53:37 UTC 2001

   O.K, EVERYBODY!  I'M READING MY AOL MAIL AND SENDING A MESSAGE FROM MY AOL ACCOUNT!  I DON'T WANT TO READ ANYONE ELSE'S MAIL!!  ANYONE ELSE SIGNED ON TO AOL HERE????

"CLIMBING MOUNT EVEREST" DRINKING

   From the WHITE NIGHTS section of the ST. PETERSBURG TIMES, 1 June 2001, pg. 14, col. 5:

   One curious fact concerning the way that Russian law deals with the beer industry is that the beverage is officially classified as a non-alcoholic drink.  The Russian response to this is typified by an old saying that translates roughly as, "Beer without vodka is like throwing money away."
   A potent illustration of this philosophy is the drinking game known as Climbing Mount Everest.  The idea is to start off with a glass of beer, take a swig, and fill the glass back up to the top with vodka.  Repeat until the liquid in the glass is clear, at which point you have climbed Mount Everest.

WATER MUSIC

   From the ST. PETERSBURG TIMES, 22 June 2001, pg. II (ALL ABOUT TOWN) photo caption:

Composer Tan Dun brings his own brand of water music to the Mariinsky Theater.  Page II.

("Water Passion after St. Matthew."  Dun won an Oscar for the soundtrack of CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON--ed.)